Italian / Main Course
This low carb keto chicken parmesan crusted recipe is my all-time favorite made with chicken breasts that is tender juicy from inside and crispy on the outside, topped with delicious marinara sauce, and melty mozzarella cheese.
Let’s get started
– 1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (about 2 large breasts) – 1/2 teaspoon onion powder – 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning – Salt and pepper, to season – 2 eggs – 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning – 1 clove garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper, to taste – 1/2 cup almond flour – 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese – 1 tablespoon butter – 2 tablespoons olive oil – 26 oz marinara sauce, about 750g – 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded, about 250g – 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil or parsley
Slice each chicken breast into two pieces, cut them lengthwise. Season with onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, add Italian seasoning and garlic. Combine well. Season with a pinch of salt pepper.
Dip the chicken pieces into the egg bowl and marinate for at least an hour to overnight. (this step is optional but increases flavor). In another bowl, combine the almond flour and parmesan cheese. Take each breast piece from the egg mixture, drip off any excess and then place it into the parmesan mixture bowl and coat well on both sides.
Shake off any excess and repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and butter. Once hot, add the chicken pieces, one at a time and fry for 4-5 minutes untouched.
Once the coating is little crispy and golden, flip the chicken pieces and continue to fry for another few minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Preheat oven grill to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease the baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread half of the marinara over the base of the baking dish and arrange the fried chicken over the sauce in a single layer.
Spread remaining sauce all over each chicken breast. Top with the parmesan and mozzarella cheese, bake for 5-10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese has melted. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
– I am using almond flour, but you can use coconut flour and make it a keto chicken parmesan with coconut flour (it won’t be that crispy) – You can also make this low carb chicken parmesan with pork rinds. (Replace almond flour with pork rinds on the second bowl)
– Preheat air fryer to 400°F (200°C). – Lightly spray the crumbed chicken with olive oil spray. – Place them in the air fryer basket in a single layer. – Cook for 7-8 minutes. – Flip the chicken breasts. Top with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees. – Line a large baking sheet with foil and lightly spray the sheet with olive oil spray. – In a shallow bowl beat and whisk the eggs. – In another bowl combine the parmesan cheese along with all the spices and mix well.