Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken – This crockpot French onion chicken is made with juicy cheesy chicken breasts in a flavorful French onion soup perfect for your family on those busy weeknights.
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken – Tips
- Caramelize the onions slowly. Patience is key! Aim for a deep golden brown color for the most intense flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the slow cooker. This prevents even cooking and browning of the onions.
- Use a good quality beef broth. It makes a big difference in the final flavor.
- Add a splash of white wine or balsamic vinegar for extra depth.
- Top with different cheeses. Gruyere, Swiss, or even mozzarella are all delicious options.
- Shred the chicken for a more rustic feel.
Crockpot French Onion Chicken – Variations
Vegetarian – Swap the chicken for portobello mushrooms or chickpeas.
Creamy – Stir in some heavy cream or sour cream before serving.
Spicy – Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for a kick.
How to Serve This Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken?
- Ladle the chicken and onions over your chosen side dish.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
- Serve crusty bread for dipping in the delicious sauce.
- Pair with a glass of full-bodied red wine for a truly satisfying meal.
Crockpot French Onion Chicken – FAQs
What cut of chicken is best?
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs work well. Breasts cook faster, while thighs offer richer flavor.
Can I use a different type of soup than French onion soup mix?
Absolutely! Try beef broth with a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and a teaspoon of dried thyme for a similar flavor.
Do I have to brown the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker?
While not essential, browning adds depth of flavor. Simply sear the chicken in a skillet for a few minutes before adding it to the pot.
What are some good side dishes?
Mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or crusty bread are all excellent choices.
- 1 ½ pounds. chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 10.6 oz. French onion soup by Campbell
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 1 oz. onion soup mix
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, sliced
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add sliced onions, soup mix, and french soup.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Add the Swiss cheese, cover, and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice or mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 532Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 182mgSodium 927mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 66g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.