Slow Cooker Cream of Mushroom Chicken – This crockpot cream of mushroom chicken is not only deliciously creamy and packed with savory flavors, but it’s also effortlessly easy to throw together and served over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Crockpot Cream of Mushroom Chicken – Tips
Brown the chicken – This adds a depth of flavor you won’t want to miss! Sear the chicken pieces in a pan with a little oil before adding them to the slow cooker.
Don’t overcook the chicken – Chicken can easily become dry in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Use fresh herbs – A sprinkle of fresh thyme or parsley at the end adds a bright, vibrant touch.
Get creative with the mushrooms – Swap out white mushrooms for cremini, baby bella, or even a mix for a variety of textures and flavors.
Leftover – This dish reheats beautifully, making it perfect for meal prepping or lunchboxes.
Slow Cooker Cream of Mushroom Chicken – Variations
- Spicy – Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a chopped jalapeño for a kick.
- Deluxe – Stir in cooked bacon, shredded cheese, or chopped spinach for extra richness and texture.
- Dairy-free – Use a dairy-free cream of mushroom soup or substitute with Greek yogurt or cashew cream.
- Vegetarian – Replace the chicken with chickpeas or lentils for a plant-based twist.
How to Serve This Crockpot Cream of Mushroom Chicken?
- Classic comfort – Spoon the creamy chicken and mushrooms over fluffy mashed potatoes or rice.
- Pasta – Toss with cooked pasta and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Bread bowl – Serve in hollowed-out bread bowls for a fun and interactive dining experience.
- Salad sidekicks – Pair with a simple green salad for a balanced meal.
Slow Cooker Cream of Mushroom Chicken – FAQs
Is slow cooker cream of mushroom chicken healthy?
While the classic recipe can be on the richer side, there are ways to lighten it up! We’ll discuss some healthy swaps later in the article.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Absolutely! Just thaw it completely before adding it to the slow cooker.
What can I serve this with?
The possibilities are endless! Mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or even crusty bread are all excellent choices.
How do I thicken the sauce?
If your sauce is a little too thin, simply mix a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water) and stir it into the pot until thickened.
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- Light spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Place the chicken in the bottom and add chicken stock, spices, and top with mushrooms. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken, shred it using 2 forks, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a cornstarch slurry and add to the slow cooker.
- Serve immediately over noodles, rice, and vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 429Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 153mgSodium 1304mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 59g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.