Butter Chicken Naan – This creamy butter chicken with naan is so easy and delicious made in less than 30 minutes with Indian flavors perfect for your weeknight meal.
Butter chicken source – It is a Mughal royalty dish. The rich gravy was said to be enjoyed by Emperor Shah Jahan himself!
The Secret Creamy Sauce – The key to silky smooth gravy comes from blending onions, tomatoes, and spices into a purée before simmering with the chicken. Cashews or cream add extra richness, but use coconut milk for a vegan twist!
Spices – It’s not just about heat! Garam masala, cumin, coriander, and a touch of paprika add up the flavors. Adjust as per your taste – a hint of ginger or smoked paprika can add more heat.
The Fluffy Naan – Don’t go for store-bought flatbreads! Making naan at home is easier than you think. A simple yeasted dough brushed with garlic butter and cooked in a tandoor (or your oven!), yields light, pillowy bread.
Butter Chicken Naan – FAQs
Chicken: Boneless or Skinless? Both work! Boneless is faster, but skinless thighs offer a richer flavor and more juiciness.
Tandoor or No Tandoor? A hot oven or cast iron skillet can give you that naan char.
Spice Up – For a kick, add chili flakes or chopped green chilies. Balance it with a touch of honey or yogurt.
Leftovers – Yes, Please! Butter chicken freezes well. Reheat gently, adding a splash of water to avoid dryness.
Tips & Tricks for Butter Chicken
Marinate for Maximum Flavor: Yogurt and spices work their magic on the chicken, ensuring juicy tenderness.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race: Simmer your gravy, don’t boil it. Let the flavors melt for that “wow” factor.
Fresh is Best: Use ripe tomatoes and fragrant spices for the ultimate aromatic experience.
Add Ghee: A dollop of ghee adds richness and a nutty aroma that takes your butter chicken to the next level.
How to serve this butter chicken?
Different Naan Types: Get creative with your naan! Make the dough with herbs like basil or cilantro, sprinkle with sesame seeds or nigella, or fold in cheese for a taste change.
Rice is Nice: Basmati rice is the classic partner, but quinoa or couscous offer lighter alternatives.
Raita Refreshment: Cool down your palate with a cooling cucumber raita.
Salad Side: A simple green salad balances the richness of the meal.
Papad Party: Crispy papads add a fun, crunchy element.
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, cut bit sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, once hot, add diced onions or until translucent and stir in between for about 4 minutes.
- Add the butter. Once melted, add in ginger and garlic, cooking for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for about 2 minutes until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Do not fully cook the chicken as it will cook while simmering with the sauce.
- Stir in chili powder, salt, garam masala, and black pepper. Pour in tomato sauce, lemon juice, yogurt, tomato paste, and half and half. Give it a good mix.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Serve with naan or steamed basmati rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 473Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 161mgSodium 775mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 39g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Variations to Tempt Your Taste Buds:
Butter Paneer: Swap chicken for paneer cheese for a vegetarian delight.
Mango Magic: Add a touch of mango purée for a sweet-tart twist.
Coconut Curried Chicken: Replace tomato with coconut milk for a tropical twist.
Black Pepper Chicken: Go spicy with black peppercorns and a touch of garam masala.