Chicken Salsa Rice – This cheesy salsa chicken and rice is packed with protein combining juicy chicken, zesty salsa, and fluffy rice and ready in under 30 minutes perfect for weeknight meal.
Why chicken salsa rice is the best?
Quick and Easy: No fancy ingredients or hours of simmering needed. Just throw it all together and let the magic happen!
Budget-Friendly: We’re talking pantry staples and affordable proteins. Your wallet will thank you!
Healthy and Delicious: Packed with protein and whole grains, this dish is a satisfying way to fuel your day without sacrificing flavor.
Versatile: Serve it as a main course, a side dish, or even stuffed into burritos or tacos. The possibilities are endless!
Tips and Tricks
Marinate the chicken: For extra flavor, marinate the chicken in your favorite taco marinade for 30 minutes before cooking.
Spice it up: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few chopped jalapeños to the dish for an extra kick.
Make it creamy: Stir in a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt before serving for a rich and creamy texture.
Get saucy: Drizzle some extra salsa on top when serving for an extra flavor boost.
Chicken and Black Bean Salsa Rice: Swap half the chicken for black beans for a vegetarian twist.
Shrimp Salsa Rice: Replace the chicken with shrimp for a seafood fiesta.
Taco Salad: Serve over a bed of lettuce with your favorite taco toppings.
Stuffed Peppers: Fill bell peppers with the salsa rice mixture and bake for a fun and healthy meal.
How to Serve this easy chicken salsa rice?
Main Course: Pile it high on a plate with your favorite toppings.
Side Dish: Pair it with grilled fish, fajitas, or even a simple salad.
Party Food: Fill tortilla chips or mini bell peppers for a fun and festive appetizer.
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
For the Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice (or blend of two)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup mild salsa, plus extra for serving
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 15 oz pinto beans, drained
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp organic green onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese, shredded
- Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken and sear until golden brown for about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Add in the rice and stir, until slightly toasted.
- Add in the lime juice, drained pinto beans chicken broth, garlic salt, and salsa.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, add in the chicken breasts to the rice mixture. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is reduced as desired.
- Remove the lid and add the shredded cheese. Place the lid cover back and let the cheese melt.
- Top with diced green onions, extra salsa, and sliced avocado.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 532Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 97mgSodium 909mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 10gSugar 3gProtein 40g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Chicken Salsa And Rice – FAQs
What kind of salsa can I use?
Any salsa you love will work! Go for mild for a family-friendly meal, medium for a bit of a kick, or hot if you’re feeling for an extra kick.
Can I use brown rice?
Absolutely! Brown rice will add a nutty flavor and some extra fiber. Just adjust the cooking time according to the package instructions.
Can I make this dish vegetarian?
Sure! Swap the chicken for black beans or tofu, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You’ll still have a fiesta in your bowl!
How do I store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a skillet or microwave until warmed through.