Chori Pollo – This Mexican chori pollo recipe consists of fiery chorizo and the tender warmth of pollo then baked to perfection is a restaurant-style dinner for any day of the week.
Chori Pollo Main Ingredients
Chorizo – The star of the show! Choose Mexican chorizo for its deeper, smokier flavor and vibrant red hue.
Chicken – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs are perfect. Dice them up for a quick cook, or leave them whole for a more satisfying bite.
Veggies – Onions, bell peppers, and garlic are your classic trio, but feel free to toss in some poblanos, zucchini, or even black beans for a fiber boost.
Spices – Cumin, chili powder, paprika, and oregano are the essential flavor bombs. Don’t be shy, add a pinch of chipotle powder for a smoky kick!
Liquid Love – Chicken broth for depth, tomato sauce for tang, or even a splash of tequila for a fiesta in every sip!
The Method (Simple as Siesta!):
- Heat the pan, chorizo first – Let the chorizo release its fiery oils, then drain off some of the fat
- Sauté the veggies – Onions, then peppers, let them soften and sweeten.
- Chicken in, flavors on – Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, then toss in the spices and let them dance with the heat.
- Sauce – Pour in liquid, simmer, and let the flavors melt.
- Top it – Fresh cilantro, chopped avocado, a dollop of sour cream, or a sprinkle of cheese
Best Chori Pollo Tips and Tricks
Spice it up, or down: Adjust the chili powder and chipotle according to your heat preference. Even a little spice adds a whole lot of excitement!
Don’t overcrowd the pan: Let the ingredients have space to brown and caramelize for maximum flavor.
Chicken alternatives: Shrimp, tofu, or even ground beef can make this dish a protein party for everyone.
Leftover: Chori Pollo is even better the next day! Store it in the fridge and reheat for a quick and flavorful lunch.
Verde Vibes: Swap the tomato sauce for salsa verde for a fresh, tangy twist.
Pollo Asado: Marinate the chicken in a mixture of citrus, adobo sauce, and your favorite spices for a smoky, grilled flavor.
Taco Tuesday: Pile your Chori Pollo onto warm tortillas, top with your favorite toppings, and let the fiesta begin!
How to Serve Your Best Chori Pollo
Fluffy rice: A classic pairing that soaks up all the delicious juices.
Black beans: Add a protein punch and a touch of sweetness.
Roasted vegetables: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or sweet potatoes for a healthy and colorful side.
Avocado slices: Creamy, cool, and the perfect counterpoint to the spicy chorizo.
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 10-ounce package chorizo
- 10-ounce can of tomatoes with green chiles, drained, then chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh feta cheese
- Freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a glass pan, lightly spray with nonstick spray. Place the chicken evenly. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chorizo, and brown them for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, drained tomatoes, and sour cream. Give it a good mix until well combined.
- Pour the creamy sauce all over the chicken into the glass pan. Sprinkle feta cheese.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake, uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve it inside a tortilla or with rice.