Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup – This low carb chicken tortilla soup is the best and easiest soup you will ever make in this clod season. Full of Mexican flavors and delicious served with sour cream, tortilla chips or avocado slices.
This best Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup is also known as Sopa de Tortilla con Pollo which is mainly found in classic Mexican restaurants but they are full of carbs, so what to do? is chicken tortilla soup keto friendly? can you have chicken tortilla soup on keto?
Absolutely! I have found a great way to make it keto-approved without compromising on the taste and flavors.
Can I Freeze This Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Absolutely! This recipe freezes very well and a perfect fit for meal prep guys. Portion out the soup and don’t add any garnishes before you freeze it, place into freezer zippable storage bag.
To reheat, thaw it overnight in the fridge or under cool water then pour into a pot over medium heat until warm and heated through or microwave.
- To thicken the sauce, add xanthan gum or blend cauliflower florets with the other veggies and add it.
- I used low sodium chicken broth but you can also use water.
- If you like it spicier, use 2 adobo chilis, 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce (< buy it), and 1 jalapeno. or you can also use salsa.
- To reduce cooking time, use a rotisserie chicken or cooked shredded chicken, now you can skip the coconut oil sear step.
Garnishing and Serving Options
I like to garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, corn tortilla strips, and avocado slices to increase the fat content of this soup.
Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot
For the pan version, see the recipe card below
- In a blender, blend garlic, chili, jalapeno, onion, tomatoes, salt, and coriander.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Sauté mode, once hot, add the oil.
- Add the blended vegetables and stir well for about 10 minutes until the rawness of the sauce is gone and starts to thicken.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and if you’re using xanthan gum or cauliflower florets blend add it now.
- Add in chicken pieces cut into big pieces. Set your Pot to the manual, and set the timer for 20 minutes on High Pressure and do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred and put it back to the pot.
- Top with fresh coriander leaves and serve with shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, etc.
Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup Slow Cooker/Crockpot
For the pan version, see the recipe card below
- Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a blender, blend garlic, chili, jalapeno, onion, tomatoes, salt, and coriander. Pour in the slow cooker. Add the chicken and stir well.
- Blend the chicken broth and cauliflower florets (if using), add to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred and put it back, stir well.
- Top with coriander leaves, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and low carb tortilla strips, if desired.
This low carb keto chicken tortilla soup is the best and easiest soup you will ever make in this clod season. Full of Mexican flavors and delicious served with sour cream, tortilla chips or avocado slices.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless, skinless (or breast)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 4'inch jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (or fresh)
- 1 Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce (with 1 tsp of sauce from it)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped, divided
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Take a small bowl and mix the chili powder, cumin. Divide in half.
- Season the chicken with half of the seasoning and salt pepper. Set aside.
- In a blender, blend the onion, garlic, tomatoes, chipotle chili, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the coconut oil, once hot, add the chicken and sear for about 15 minutes on low heat and cook until chicken is cooked fully and internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees (F).
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the blended ingredients to the pan. Saute for 5-10 minutes until the rawness of the sauce is gone and relatively thickened.
- Sprinkle with remaining seasoning in step 1 and stir well.
- Add the chicken broth into the pan, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size cubes and put it back to the pan along with butter. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and top with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, low carb tortilla chips, etc.
Calories: 380 Fat: 25 Carbs: 8g Protein: 25g
Still Hungry! Try these other low carb keto chicken recipes:
- Keto Cashew Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- Low Carb Kung Pao Chicken
- Keto Chicken Marsala Slow Cooker
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this easy keto chicken tortilla soup which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for the low carb keto chicken tortilla soup will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.