Chicken Gizzard – Served over white rice or mashed potatoes this chicken gizzard recipe is so nutritious and easy to make that consist of rich meaty flavor.
What is Chicken Gizzard?
The GIZZARD is an organ found in the digestive tract of some animals like birds (all birds have gizzards), earthworms, some gastropods, some fish, and some crustaceans, etc. This is also referred to as the gastric mill, ventriculus, and gigerium.
This specialized gizzard aka stomach is constructed of thick muscular walls used for grinding up food, often aided by particles of stone or grit.
How to Make Fried Chicken Gizzard Recipe?
This is the fried version, check the recipe card below for gizzard stew.
- 1 pound gizzards
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cup self rising flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- Oil for frying
- Trim excess fat and gristle from the gizzards.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Take a plastic storage bag, add hot sauce buttermilk and shake to combine. Add gizzards to the bag and let it marinate for 1-2 hours.
- To a large bag, add seasoned salt, flour, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and whisk until well combined.
- In another plastic storage bag, add flour, salt, cayenne pepper, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika and mix until combined.
- Now add the marinated gizzards to seasoned flour bag (a few at a time) and shake to evenly coat then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to set flour.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat or deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), add oil and fry until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is eating chicken gizzards good for you?
Yes absolutely, they are healthy because it is low in fat and high in vitamins. Gizzard contains Vitamin B12, which is essential for forming white blood cells, brain function, niacin, which is good for producing hormones and circulation and riboflavin, which keeps your hair and skin healthy.
What part of the Chicken is the Gizzard?
As I have mentioned above, a gizzard is similar to a stomach, an organ found in the digestive tract of a chicken. It is used to grind up the foods they eat. They provide a healthy dose of certain vitamins and minerals, are considered a delicacy in certain cultures.
What are chicken gizzards called in Spanish?
Spanish nouns have a gender, which is either masculine (like el hombre or el sol) or feminine (like la mujer or la luna). You can use them to make a nice broth.
How do you clean chicken gizzards?
Always start by sanitizing your tools and workspace. Locate the giblets package and cut them out of the chicken. Slice the gizzard in half and remove the interior sediment. Peel away the thin yellow membrane, wash it thoroughly and it is ready to be cooked.
What to Serve with chicken gizzard?
Simply serve it over plain white rice or mashed potatoes or you can also serve with french fries and sauce.
Chicken Gizzard is Served over white rice or mashed potatoes this gizzard chicken recipe is so nutritious and easy to make that consist of rich meaty flavor.
20 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 20 Total Time
4 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 pound chicken gizzard
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 stalks celery, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chili pepper
- 1-1/2 cups tomatoes, canned or fresh, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4-6 dry bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- parsley sprigs for garnish
- Take a gizzard at a time and chop into 4 pieces. Repeat the same for the rest and set aside.
- Heat up a large Dutch oven over medium heat and fry the bacon slices until the fat has rendered out. Remove them and set aside.
- In the bacon fat, saute the onion until it starts to turn golden brown for about 8 minutes. Raise heat to medium high and add carrots, celery, pepper and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes and then add thyme, oregano, and red chili flakes.
- Stir in tomatoes and let them brown slightly for about a minute, scrape the bottom and let them sit again. Repeat this for 3 to 4 times.
- Stir in wine, vinegar, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Add gizzards. Bring it to a boil. Don't hard boil or else your gizzards will toughen up.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2-1/2-3 hours, stirring occasionally or meat is very tender.
- Serve the stew over plain white rice, topped with parsley and crumbled bacon.
Still Hungry! Try These Other Delicious Chicken Recipes:
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this recipe for chicken gizzard which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for fried chicken gizzard recipe will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.
4 thoughts on “Chicken Gizzard – Healthy Chicken Gizzard Stew + Fried Chicken Gizzard”