Chicken Tikka Masala: It is a dish of chunks of roasted marinated chicken (chicken tikka) in a spiced curry sauce. The sauce in the Chicken tikka masala is usually orange-colored and very creamy but you can replace the cream with milk and yogurt to make it healthier.
Chicken tikka masala is the most popular Indian dish mostly loved in the Punjab state but yes it is popular in whole India across every state.
When I was a kid our family used to go to restaurants and always order chicken tikka masala with rice or naan.
Difference between Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken
Now, most of you must be wondering that Chicken tikka masala is creamy and butter chicken is also creamy and tastes very similar and that’s why in most of the restaurants you will find it as the same dish.
Then what’s the difference in this two dishes. Well, let me explain…
Butter Chicken usually contains a lot of oil and cream to make it creamy whereas Chicken Tikka Masala is usually made with white meat chicken breasts or chicken thighs (less in fat content) and to make it creamier and spicier a tomato sauce is used. Click here for the keto version.
So, if you want to taste the difference I always recommend you to go to a good restaurant to get Authentic Chicken Tikka Masala.
How to make Chicken Tikka Masala?
You make this recipe with some simple ingredient that you can easily find in your grocery stores. It is totally on the go homemade recipe that everyone can make it from scratch. For the best results, I used my cast iron skillet, you can also use a regular nonstick pan if you have one. You can also even use a use a dutch oven.
- Add the garam masala, yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon salt and coriander to a large bowl and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate your yogurt marinated raw chicken for 2 hours.
- Add the vegetable oil to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the grated garlic, cumin, ginger, fenugreek and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stir the spices into the onions cook for 1 minute, until well mixed, add tomato paste and cook for a few seconds, stirring often.
- Add the marinated chicken, milk and tomato sauce and mix well, stir.
- Simmer on low heat uncovered for 15 minutes until sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Check for salt in between and add more if needed.
- Serve over naan roti or basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
What to serve and garnish with Chicken Tikka Masala?
I personally love to garnish my dish with some coriander leaves(dhania) on the top because the dhania leaves totally changes the game here, it makes your dish even more delicious. So, I highly recommend using coriander leaves.
When it comes to serving I usually like to have it with butter naan (or simple white naan without butter) but yes, if you want to keep it healthier you skip the butter naan and order a whole wheat naan roti.
Still Hungry! Check these delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Jambalaya Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Fried
- Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 426Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 132mgSodium 1293mgCarbohydrates 24gSugar 11gProtein 23g