Keto Jerk Chicken – This low carb jerk chicken is a classic Jamaican restaurant-style dish made with juicy chicken thighs and the marinade with all the healthy seasonings and spices which is perfect for a cozy dinner.
What is Jerk Chicken?
Jerk chicken is also known as Jamaican jerk chicken because ‘Jerk’ refers to a Jamaican cooking method and the jerk spice mix is used to season and marinate the chicken as a dry rub or wet paste and is typically smoked, roasted, or grilled.
What Part of the Chicken To Use For The Maximum Flavors?
For this kind of recipe, always use dark meat pieces like chicken thighs or drumsticks, the darker the meat, the more will the juiciness and flavor. You can use chicken breast instead but I don’t recommend it because it will dry out very quickly.
How Long To Cook The Chicken?
You should cook the chicken until it is no longer pink and the juices run clear. Always use a meat thermometer to check whether it reads 165 F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat and making sure you don’t hit the bone.
How to Make This Keto Jerk Chicken On The Grill?
- After you have marinated the chicken and put it overnight on the fridge, take it out from the fridge and leave it for 15-20 minutes until it cools down to normal room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat
- Place the drumsticks on the grill and cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until fully cooked and juices run clear, flip them occasionally for even cooking.
For the chicken
- 16 medium-large drumsticks (about 4-pound chicken)
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos ( or use this tamari sauce or this soy sauce)
- 7 drops liquid stevia, optional
For the jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- Or Just Purchase this All In One Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Mix
- Fresh lime wedges
- 1 thinly sliced scallion, green and white parts
- In a large bowl combine all the seasonings and set aside.
- Add the lime juice, coconut aminos, avocado oil, and stevia into the seasoning bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and coat well with the rub.
- Cover the bowl and put it into the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, take it out from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lay the chicken drumsticks on a large baking sheet and bake for 55-60 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Done! Transfer to a plate top with the scallion, garnish with fresh lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving Calories 347Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 217mgSodium 585mgCarbohydrates 4gSugar 1gProtein 48g
Still Hungry! Try these other low carb keto chicken recipes:
- Keto Chicken Divan
- Low Carb Popcorn Chicken
- Keto Fried Chicken Cutlets
- Low Carb Indian Style Butter Chicken
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this keto jerk chicken which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for the low carb Jamaican jerk chicken will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.