Keto Sesame Chicken – This low carb sesame chicken is a great recipe for all the low carb and keto lovers who are looking for a healthy and delicious meal with just 4 grams of net carbs.
Can You Eat Sesame Chicken on Keto?
Before answering this question let me explain what actually sesame chicken is, basically its a staple chinese restaurant dish made by breading the chicken and deep frying it in oil.
And the breading used here contains heavy wheat flours and sugars which is very high in carbs, a No-No for any keto low carb diet.
Now if you have questions like is sesame chicken keto friendly? Well, let me answer that now, definitely yes, it can be a keto-approved meal if made properly by substituting certain ingredients like wheat flours and other sugars.
Continue reading below you will get to know!
How this Keto Crispy Chicken Tastes Like?
This easy low carb sesame chicken has tender and juicy chunks of chicken in a thick, sticky sweet-savory sauce made with sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and other ingredients.
What type of oil to use when making this recipe?
As from the name you can guess “keto diet sesame chicken”! Yes, it is sesame oil, because this adds up delicious sesame flavor and it is much healthier than any other traditional frying oil like vegetable oil or canola oil.
Now you may have the question, what type of sesame oil to use – Refined, toasted or unrefined?
I highly recommend using toasted oil if you are looking for rich and deep flavor, you can use unrefined oil instead but don’t use refined sesame oil because it is mainly used for deep frying.
Can I meal prep this keto chinese sesame chicken?
Yes, absolutely! Simply make it as instructed below and divide them into separate lunch containers (airtight containers) and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze upto 3 months.
What other vegetables I can add to this keto low carb sesame chicken?
You can add mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, bok choy if you’re not a fan of broccoli.
How to Make Low Carb Sesame Chicken Sauce?
Below are the main ingredients we will be adding to make a flavorful keto sesame chicken sauce.
Soy sauce – I am using 0 carb soy sauce here (you can buy it here) or you can use coconut aminos or liquid aminos which is an alternative to soy sauce.
Low carb sweeteners – use sweeteners like sukrin gold, but you can use lakanto’s golden monkfruit sweetener or stevia/erythritol blend or any other brown sugar substitute.
Vinegar – I am using distilled white vinegar, but you can use apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar.
Xanthan gum – to thicken the sauce, you can use guar gum powder instead.
Additional Flavors (Optional) – if you would like to add more flavor to the chicken, feel free to add some seasoning to the sauce. Look for flavors that will complement the other ingredients in the recipe.
How to Make Baked Keto Low Carb Sesame Chicken?
Today we are making the traditional fried version (low carb), but let me tell you in short how you can make the baked keto sesame chicken almond flour recipe so that you can choose whatever you like. (for baked version we don’t need that much of ingredients)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, 3-ounce heavy whipping cream and add 1 tsp salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine 3 tbsps sesame seeds, 4 oz. almond flour, and 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Dip chicken thigh (one at a time) into the egg mixture and then into in the flour mixture and coat well. Do the same for the remaining chicken pieces and set aside
- Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 and chicken is crispy.
What to serve with this keto sesame chicken thighs?
You can serve it over fried or steamed cauliflower rice, over a bed of steamed broccoli, lettuce wraps, green beans, zucchini noodles or shirataki noodles.
Keto Sesame Chicken (Low Carb)
This low carb keto sesame chicken is a great recipe for all the low carb and keto lovers who are looking for a healthy and delicious meal with just 4 grams of net carbs.
For the chicken:
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg, large
- 1 tbsp corn starch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, toasted
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, toasted
- 2 tbsp Sukrin Gold or lakanto golden monkfruit sweetener
- 1 tbsp vinegar, distilled
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Take a bowl, beat the egg and add a tablespoon of arrowroot powder, mix well to make a batter.
- Add in chicken thigh pieces and coat them well.
- Heat a large pan, add a tablespoon of oil and once hot, add the chicken thighs one by one to avoid sticking to each other.
- Fry the chicken for about 10 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl to make the sauce.
- When the chicken is cooked through, pour the sauce directly to the pan and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has reached your desired thickness.
- Done! Take out from the pan, sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds on the top and serve over cauliflower rice or broccoli.
4g of Net Carbs
Quick Note: 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder adds about 3.5 net carbs per serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 470Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 256mgSodium 386mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 39g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Still Hungry! Try these other keto chicken recipes:
- Keto Teriyaki Chicken
- Low Carb Orange Marmalade Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy
- Low Carb Zesty Chicken Nuggets
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this keto low carb sesame chicken which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for one pot keto sesame chicken and broccoli will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.
38 thoughts on “Keto Sesame Chicken – Easy Low Carb Sesame Chicken”