Keto Chicken Paprikash – This low carb Hungarian paprika chicken can be made on the stovetop or instant pot in less than 25 minutes, loaded with juicy mouth melting chicken and creamy paprika sauce, perfect for your easy low carb dinner.
What is Chicken Paprikash?
It is a traditional Hungarian dish also made in the Czech Republic, that is originated from Eastern Europe. It is mainly famous because of its authentic and original paprika used, then it is modified with other ingredients like butter, lard, onions, sour cream, and garlic to make it more flavorful.
Keto chicken paprika – Important Tips
Saute – Saute the chicken first for a flavorful aroma when it combines with paprika.
Cream – Always, try to add room temperature sour cream and add it slowly. Avoid adding cold sour cream to a hot liquid or it will curdle. For the heavy cream, you can use coconut cream as dairy-free option.
Paprika – Get an authentic and original Hungarian paprika if you can, because this recipe is all about paprika. Spend more on a good brand of paprika.
Chicken – I used skin-on and bone-in chicken drumsticks and thighs for more flavor, but it needs a slightly longer cooking time. Or, use skinless and boneless chicken thighs instead.
Additional spices – Add spices like cumin, Moroccan seasonings, cayenne, garlic, and onion powder. This is optional.
Store – Pack them in airtight containers and store them in the fridge for up to 5-6 days.
Keto Hungarian chicken paprikash – Instant pot
- Turn on the instant pot and press the Saute mode.
- Add oil and fry the onions and pepper until softened.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on all the sides. Sprinkle sweet and smoked paprika and stir to coat.
- Add the sauteed onions and peppers to the pot, mix well and add the chicken stock.
- Set to Manual for 12 minutes on high-pressure, vent valve in the sealed position.
- Do a manual pressure release, open the pot, and stir in the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and xanthan gum.
- Press the saute mode and cook until the sauce thickens.
How to serve these keto paprika chicken thighs?
Serve it over a bed of cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower, with keto bread or naan, zucchini noodles, shirataki noodles, roasted broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1 kg chicken thighs, bone-in, skin one (you can use boneless, skinless)
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (use coconut cream for dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil, once hot, add onion and pepper and cook until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil in the pan, add the chicken and cook until the skin on the top is browned and caramelized. Add in sweet and smoked paprika and stir well.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pot followed by the chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir in sour cream, heavy cream, and xanthan gum. Pour into the chicken and cook for 5 more minutes or until sauce slightly thickens or reaches your desired doneness.
- Add the parsley and serve over cauliflower rice or shirataki rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 545Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 238mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 2.8gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 42g
All Chicken Recipes.com, occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although allchickenrecipes.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
- Keto Mushroom Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Kiev
- Keto Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Low Carb Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this keto paprika chicken with sour cream gravy which I make weekly. All the chicken lovers who are looking for low carb hungarian chicken paprikash will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe, then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms.