Sweet and Sour Chicken: This delicious Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken consists of crispy chicken, pineapple and bell peppers and the color that you will get without adding any food color is just amazing.
It is stir-fried with pineapple chunks and bell peppers. This Chicken recipe is full of healthy bell peppers which are again low in calories! makes it even healthier. This Sweet and Sour chicken can be ready in just 20 minutes.
Just in one bowl, you will get all your comforting elements. Let me tell you one thing… In China, you will barely find anyone eating chicken. When I visited China for the first time I was literally very disappointed because in every other restaurant you will find pork. However, In Japan, you can easily get this amazing Sweet and Sour Chicken.
One thing that you have to keep in mind about the sauce is that when you will make it can be little in a sweeter side but yes, you can easily balance the sweetness by adding a couple pinches of crushed red pepper.
I personally suggest coating the sauce on the chicken cubes so they don’t turn soggy. Because in most the Chinese restaurants the chicken actually swims in the sweet and sour sauce which I don’t like personally.
Another thing that you can do is use the baking powder in the frying batter because it gives that extra crispiness in the chicken.
What type of sauces you can use to make sweet and sour chicken?
- You can use any Asian chili sauce (Buy it!)- this will give you that extra heat within the sweet and sour sauce.
- And if you want to make it extra flavorful then try Plum Sauce(Buy it!).
- Or, You can simply use Ketchup(Buy it!) to give that extra color.
- If you want to make your recipe like other Chinese restaurants then use Worcestershire sauce(Buy it!).
- And finally, if you want more sweetness then add more sugar in your sauce.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken?
- In a small saucepan combine water, vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- On low heat simmer, stirring frequently until thickened. Cover and remove from heat.
- In large Ziploc bag combine 1/3 cup cornstarch and chicken. Shake until coated.
- In large skillet heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 7 minutes until nicely browned on all sides. Remove chicken to plate. Drain.
- In the skillet add 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers and cook for additional 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low; add chicken with peppers and onions and cook for 1 minute. Add pineapple, sauce, red pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve over Chinese noodles or cooked rice
What to serve with your Sweet and Sour Chicken?
The Sweet and Sour Chicken is itself a wonderful dish but you can serve it over Chinese noodles or cooked rice. You can also add Pineapple to make it more delicious but don’t add too much.
Still Hungry! Try These Chicken Recipes:
- Calories: 640
- Fats: 20g
- Carbs: 50g
- Protein: 60g
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe which I make on weekly basis. All the Chicken Lovers who are looking for Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Instagram.