Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken – This easy crockpot chicken recipe is a perfect dinner takeout made from pineapple chunks, bell peppers, flavourful sweet and sour sauce and of course juicy and moist chicken served over rice.
Enjoy this delicious crockpot sweet and sour chicken with your entire family as a hearty Chinese takeout dinner. If you are looking for the skillet version get the recipe here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Sweet and Sour Chicken Chinese?
Yes, this dish is frequently served in Chinese restaurants in various Western countries. Generally, it consists of white meat chicken deep-fried in batter and served with sweet and sour sauce and topped with green pepper, pineapple, carrot, or sweet pickles.
Is orange chicken the same as sweet and sour chicken?
Orange chicken usually has a lighter-colored sweet, savory, sour glaze. And authentic Chinese-style orange chicken uses dried orange peel and it’s not sauced with orange juice or fresh oranges and it is not battered and fried.
Difference between sesame chicken and sweet and sour chicken?
Sesame Chicken has a hint of sweetness and is typically salty and served with sesame seeds whereas sweet-sour chicken has a little more heat and typically sweeter. The sauce is redder than the brown sauce served with sesame chicken.
- You don’t need to add extra salt because the soy sauce already does that for you, but it can depend upon which sodium level it has, so it’s better to taste and adjust the seasoning.
- You can use tomato paste instead of ketchup (if you don’t have in hand). The taste will be slightly different but yes you will enjoy the recipe.
- You can add quite a few different types of vegetables like – Add onions, any color of bell pepper will be fine, water chestnuts or even some baby corn. You can also spice it up with red chili peppers (seeds removed).
How to Serve this Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken?
To enjoy the best version of this dish, serve it over steamed white rice or brown rice. You could also stir in some spaghetti or rice noodles or pasta with some extra sauce.
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken?
Serving Size 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 380Total Fat 2gCholesterol 57mgSodium 1403mgCarbohydrates 68gSugar 56gProtein 20g
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
- Best Homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Apples
- Pan Frying Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this crockpot sweet and sour chicken with pineapple juice which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for slow cooker gourmet sweet and sour chicken will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.