Keto chicken and dumplings – This low carb chicken and dumplings is the ultimate comfort food with full of old fashioned flavors that is gluten free with just 4g of net carbs perfect for a great low carb dinner.
Can You Meal Prep this Simple Keto Chicken and Dumplings?
Yes, you can meal prep this low carb chicken and dumplings. The only thing you have to do is keep the dough separate because if you store the dumplings along with the soup it will become messy. Just chop all the ingredients ahead and dump in all the ingredients on the go. Heat the soup, throw the dough and cook for a few minutes before serving.
Can we Freeze this Low Carb Southern Chicken and Dumplings?
Yes definitely you can freeze this gluten-free chicken and dumplings but as mentioned above, freeze the dough separately from the soup.
When ready to serve, heat the soup, add in the frozen dumplings and cook for a few minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Always try different veggies or as desired, this will give you extra comfort.
- You can also substitute homemade chicken broth for the store-bought broth or Better Than Bouillon.
- Make it spicier – Toss in jalapenos, serrano peppers, poblano peppers, habanero peppers, etc. and feel the heat.
- Make it more creamy – add more heavy whipping cream, sour cream, greek yogurt or cream cheese if you prefer it creamier.
- Make it even low in carbs – Try to add more green colored veggies instead of colored ones like carrots, onions or cauliflower.
Helpful Tools Required
- Double Boiler or Glass Bowl – Melt cheese on the stove with the boiler or use a glass bowl to do the same on your microwave.
- Parchment paper – For the rolling process of fathead dough.
- Dutch Oven – To cook veggies.
- Cutting Board – To shred chicken, use a plate instead.
How to Make Keto Low Carb Chicken and Dumplings
This low carb keto chicken and dumplings is the ultimate comfort food with full of old fashioned flavors that is gluten free with just 4g of net carbs perfect for a great low carb dinner.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 Pounds bone-in skin on chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, yellow
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 stick melted butter
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xantham Powder
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a large dutch oven, add oil, once hot add the chicken and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate
- Now add in chopped onions, thyme, celery, garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until they are soft.
- Add in 2 cups of chicken stock, butter and water in with the vegetables.
- Shred the chicken using a fork and discard the bones and add it to the dutch oven.
- Add the bay leaves, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, start making the dough.
- Take a microwave-safe bowl, add 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and microwave for a minute or two or until melted.
- In a separate bowl add egg yolks, baking powder, and Xantham powder and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Remove the melted cheese from the microwave and add the egg yolk mixture along with 1/2 cup of coconut flour and mix until thick.
- Knead the dough with your hands until nice and smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a nonstick surface or between two greased parchment paper as big about 1/4 inch thick (don't make it too thin)
- Gently cut strips of the dough and sprinkle a bit of coconut flour so the strips don't stick to one another.
- Add about 4 to 5 strips at a time to the hot soup mixture and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately!
Still Hungry! Try these other keto chicken recipes:
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Vegetables
- Low Carb Pineapple Chicken
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this low cal low carb chicken and dumplings which I make on a weekly basis. All the chicken lovers who are looking for the keto chicken and dumplings coconut flour will enjoy this recipe. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Tumblr, Pinterest, facebook, twitter, and Instagram.
3 thoughts on “Keto Chicken and Dumplings – Low Carb Southern Chicken and Dumplings”