Chicken Ala King – This classic rich and creamy chicken ala king is the ultimate comforting food made with juicy tender chicken and creamy sauce served over rice or bread perfect for those busy weeknights.
What Is Chicken ala king?
Chicken à la King or King-style Chicken is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a creamy sauce, made with mushrooms, sherry, and vegetables, served over pasta, rice, or bread.
Can I Freeze this recipe?
Absolutely! I recommend to eat it fresh but this freezes very well. Wain until its cooked, the allow the chicken to cool completely, place them in a zip-top plastic bag or an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
What to serve this creamy chicken ala king?
I love to serve it over a bed of plain rice or brown rice, you can also serve it over biscuits, pasta, toast or puff pastry.
- You use any rotisserie or leftover chicken or use diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts – Season with salt and pepper, saute them in a pan or until cooked and tender.
- Make sure to cook the mushroom and flour a little long to avoid getting that raw flour-y flavor.
- If you don’t like or don’t have pimentos in hand, then use red jalapeños or diced red peppers.
- For mushrooms, you can use diced carrots, frozen corn, and chopped green beans or onions and celery
- Use half and half instead of heavy cream,
- You can also add sauteed onions or pearl onions.
Check my other comfort food recipes:
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Fricassee
- Chicken Parmigiana
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped (any rotisserie or leftover chicken)
- 1/2 cup butter, salted
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup heavy creamy
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup pimientos, chopped, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the block of the butter and let it melt.
- Once completely melted, add in sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and stir well with the mushroom and cook for a little longer so that the raw flavor of the flour is gone.
- Pour in milk and chicken broth and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add egg yolks with heavy cream and whisk well. Ladle out about half a cup of the boiling sauce and add it to the bowl. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture from the bowl into the saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes. stirring continuously.
- Add cooked chicken, pimientos, frozen peas and stir for about 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Done! Serve immediately over toast, plain rice, pasta or biscuits.
Amount Per Serving Calories 588Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 280mgSodium 1311mgCarbohydrates 19gSugar 6gProtein 46g
Still Hungry!! Try these chicken recipes:
So, Guys, I hope you enjoy this Chicken ala King Recipe which I make on weekly basis. And if you like this recipe then Don’t forget to share it with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms. And do follow us on Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Instagram. You may also like Hunan Chicken.